10 THINGS EVERY UNDERGRADUATE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT EMPLOYMENT
1. Relatively refreshing life of an undergraduate never becomes hard while on study. The entry level student after high school is known as an undergraduate. Primarily undergraduate degree is of four year course which includes Degree courses, Diploma courses and Professional Certificate Courses. Undergraduate program varies from country to country. It is a four year course in Nigeria, two or three year course in South Africa, Three to Four year course in case of Brazil. Undergraduate could think of four year Bachelor degree program but there are a vast opportunities for employment. Undergraduates are decided to research their knowledge and skills they need to thrive in the field to shine. Undergraduate students should propel career options in technology, science, consulting, pharmacy, health sector and financial services. But before choosing and employment aspect, the first thing you need to do is to think. Think about your needs, think about your professional life and think about your future plans. The work environment and the direction of your career need to begin the process of outlasting. Everyone need to be employed, but the undergraduates feels pressured at some point by their parents, relatives and friends.
2. Undergraduates gets pressured by some situations where they want to move into a job not really mend for them. Considering your degree, outline the kind of job you are interested with. Try and keep a clear goal to choose the right job which suits you based on the level of education you have done. To take right decision for your career, you need to take some career tests offered by career advisor in your college. It will make you figure out the right career path for you. Then start looking out for your first job which suits your interest and knowledge. You would have a dream to work in any industry, stick to it, then search for job that would make right step to climb the ladder.
3. Choosing career options: – Suppose if you have major knowledge in sales sector, the employment you find in a field relevant to sales would be at a managerial level. Particularly deciding about job, choose around two to three back-up options so you can make strong decisions and decide one.
4. Priority first in every sense: – Investing at the right time to figuring your preferences are most important. This will be in consideration to location, where would you stay, how much you would travel, your interest in kind of industrial sectors or like to work in well – established company, the expectations of your pay and on top priority, suitable office timings. Freshly passed undergraduates overlook on these since they need an immediate quick job. The undergraduates are advised to give more attention to all these thoughts to choose whether you are happy or not with your new job. Make a clear balance on your job goals.
5. Questioning about the job: – After choosing the right job, you would have more questions regarding your profession. Ask more questions regarding job if you didn’t try to ask at the beginning of choosing a job.
6. Say No to delay: – Professional decision after graduation is an incorrect decision. This advice may cost future opportunities. So start getting future job advice while on undergraduation. Students who prefer accounting like to work as Receptionist in a local office, students with major subject as history could do an internship in a local gallery. Some universities are offering program on work and study. This program doesn’t give a guaranteed job for the students. The job opportunities may differ from campus and outside campus opportunities with a minimum wage. So, you need any job to balance your low wage.
7. Choose paid internship: – Today’s undergraduates are jobless and get training due to unpaid internship. But every candidate would get job as well as satisfied training in paid internship. Graduates would not say they are unhappy with their level of education. You would get your dream job if you don’t even enroll to a post-graduation program. You have a good knowledge by your undergraduation program.
8. Amplify your ability: – Students learn various skills in undergraduation days which are closely related to career. Many companies expect candidates with more capabilities and abilities to work in diverse options. Anthropology students may opt for business courses, photography students may take arts and graphic designing courses to build up their knowledge and creativity. Some jobs and colleges opt for candidates who have knowledge of typing. If typing speed is slow, increase your typing speed and accuracy level by taking nearby typing classes.
9. Getting latest updates: – Be up-to-date with the last industry trends and technology, since companies need candidates who are up to date and getting updates with latest news on industry and technology not only meets your needs in company, but also avoids you from lack of knowledge. Have a visit at your nearby library or college library, have some journals in front of you and gain knowledge by referring journals. Try to use Google and stay updated with the latest trends related to the level of your education. Refer newspapers every day to gain knowledge on science, technology, sports and currencies.
10. Preparing your CV: – Preparing first CV may be complicated for candidates who are new to getting idea on preparing a CV. Get the correct format of CV before entering your details. The first thing to enter into a CV is your educational qualification which may vary between candidates who did undergraduation after different educational stream. Highlighting your skills could be one more option after your educational qualification. Enter your hobbies and interests which may highlight your ability to the employer. Make all the details entering in the CV be true up to your knowledge. Having more experience seems to be most surprising for recruiters to hire you. Spend time in getting and experience in your relevant educational field as there are many companies who hire you as a paid intern so you get an experience and your experience plays major part mentioning in your CV.
Be confident, courageous and be true to yourself while attending an interview. You will get hired and truly shine in your future.